The Rego Park Jewish Center is a traditional Conservative synagogue that balances a commitment to the time-honored traditions and ceremonies of Halakhic Judaism with everyday life in the modern world. The result is a spiritual home that welcomes Jews of every persuasion, regardless of religious background or observance level.
The synagogue is the heart of Judaism. Its presence in Jewish communities around the world has ensured the continuation of our people, carrying our spiritual heritage from the time of Abraham and Sarah to the present day. The Rego Park Jewish Center has been a proud part of this legacy and a hub for Jews since its opening in 1939.
Since 1948, RPJC has been located on Queens Boulevard in Rego Park. An Art Deco landmark, the building itself is listed on both the New York State and National Register of Historic Places. It’s easily recognized by the colorful mosaic on its exterior, which features scenes from the Old Testament by Hungarian-born artist A. Raymond Katz.
Marcus Marks accepting a plaque honoring Rego Park Jewish Center from Eleanor Roosevelt. Also in attendance were from left to right - Harris Herman and Rabbi Derby.
Original founders of the Rego Park Jewish Center from left to right: William Cooper, Marcus Marks, Rabbi Derby, Iriving Lookstein, Max Orlinsky, Harris Herman.